Healthier Living with Diabetes
Join this free 6-week workshop!
Fridays 10:00am – 12:30pm from April 19 to May 24, 2019 at Sustaining Grace
Address: 9950 Campo Road, Spring Valley CA 91979
*Please note: this site requires the use of stairs. Elevators and escalators are not available. Contact (858) 495-5500 to find an accessible workshop site near you.
About the workshop: An Evidence-Based self-management program originally developed at Stanford University, now managed by the Self-Management Resource Center, designed for people with Type 2 Diabetes as well as their family members and caregivers. This program has been proven to achieve positive health outcomes and reduced health care expenditures. The program consists of a workshop that meets once a week for 2 ½ hours per week for six weeks, led by two trained peer educators, who may also have diabetes.
• Techniques to deal with the symptoms of diabetes, fatigue, pain, hyper/hypoglycemia, stress, and emotional problems such as depression, anger, fear and frustration
• Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength and endurance
• Healthy eating
• Appropriate use of medication
• Working more effectively with health care providers
• Participants will make weekly action plans, share experiences, and help each other solve problems they encounter in creating and carrying out their self-management program.